Bent disappointed at World Cup snub
Wednesday 02 June 2010
Sunderland striker has admitted to being disappointed at being left out of England's 23-man squad for the World Cup finals in South Africa.
Bent had been in coach Fabio Capello's 30-strong squad before the Italian dropped the Sunderland forward and six other players yesterday.
Bent netted 25 goals for Sunderland last season but did not score in either of his starts for England, against Brazil in November and Japan on Sunday.
Bent lost out to Aston Villa striker Emile Heskey in a cull of the squad which also meant Theo Walcott, Tom Huddlestone, Scott Parker, Adam Johnson, Michael Dawson and Leighton Baines would not be flying out to South Africa later today.
Bent told his club's website, www.safc.com: "I feel really disappointed. I have always said to myself, if you play well and do your best for Sunderland, then there is a chance you can go to the biggest tournament in the world. But obviously on this occasion it has not worked out.
"Straight away from when Mr Capello spoke to me and told me I wouldn't be involved in the 23-man squad my thoughts turned to next season and how I can improve on what I have done for Sunderland this year.
"I am going to take some time off now and rest my bones after what has been a great season for me and get ready for next year. It's a case of fully concentrating on my football for Sunderland and doing my best for them.
"Of course, I still want the boys to do well. I have got a lot of friends in the England set-up. They are a great bunch of lads and, even though I won't be there, I will be supporting them."
Latest in Sport
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Best memes as Twitter reacts to imminent £16m transfer
Manchester United transfer news: Louis van Gaal joins Arsenal and Chelsea in the race for Sami Khedira
Mario Balotelli takes 50 per cent pay cut to join Liverpool as Samuel as Eto’o waits in the wings if deal falls through
Crystal Palace next manager latest: Palace consider Ally McCoist - EXCLUSIVE
Click here for the full story." title="When a youngster asked for an autograph outside Manchester City's training ground, Balotelli demanded to know why the boy was playing truant. After the child revealed he was being bullied, Balotelli drove the boy and his mother to the school in question so he could tackle the bully himself. He demanded to see the headmaster to make him aware of the issue and then mediated between the two boys to resolve the problem. A source said: 'Mario feels strongly about bullying.' Click here for the full story." width="88" height="52" />Mario Balotelli: The funniest stories
- 1 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 2 Mother fed her daughter tapeworms to make her skinny for pageant
- 3 Crystal Palace next manager latest: Palace consider Ally McCoist - EXCLUSIVE
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27