Bosingwa snubs Bento and Portugal
Jose Bosingwa, the Chelsea defender, has said he will not play international football again while Paulo Bento remains Portugal manager. The 29-year-old had been pre-selected to join his national side for the Euro 2012 play-off games with Bosnia but was left out of Bento's final 25-man squad.
The former Porto full-back has not been picked by Bento for more than a year after the pair fell out over his decision to withdraw from a squad after sustaining an injury, and yesterday insisted his omission in favour of Silvio, of Atletico Madrid, and Joao Pereira, of Sporting Lisbon, was the final straw.
"With all due respect to the Portuguese league, I play for Chelsea with many of the best players in the world," he told the newspaper A Bola. "I never wanted to comment on this, in fact I just had to respect them because all coaches have preferences and my team-mates deserve consideration.
"But I feel insulted and disrespected by his statements about me. I am not going to go back on my word and I will not wear the national shirt whilst he is coach – he has not the mental or emotional capacity to lead a group of men."
Latest in Sport
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Best memes as Twitter reacts to imminent £16m transfer
Cardiff City launch ‘fraud’ probe into summer transfer spending
Sami Khedira to Arsenal? Arsene Wenger reveals Gunners are still in the market for defensive midfielder
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Risky business to think Balotelli can replace Suarez
Malky Mackay allegations: Malky Mackay, Iain Moody and another grim day for English football
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist