Bosingwa snubs Bento and Portugal
Jose Bosingwa, the Chelsea defender, has said he will not play international football again while Paulo Bento remains Portugal manager. The 29-year-old had been pre-selected to join his national side for the Euro 2012 play-off games with Bosnia but was left out of Bento's final 25-man squad.
The former Porto full-back has not been picked by Bento for more than a year after the pair fell out over his decision to withdraw from a squad after sustaining an injury, and yesterday insisted his omission in favour of Silvio, of Atletico Madrid, and Joao Pereira, of Sporting Lisbon, was the final straw.
"With all due respect to the Portuguese league, I play for Chelsea with many of the best players in the world," he told the newspaper A Bola. "I never wanted to comment on this, in fact I just had to respect them because all coaches have preferences and my team-mates deserve consideration.
"But I feel insulted and disrespected by his statements about me. I am not going to go back on my word and I will not wear the national shirt whilst he is coach – he has not the mental or emotional capacity to lead a group of men."
Latest in Sport
Hull v Arsenal: Arsene Wenger admits 'I am not in the best position' as contract uncertainty continues
Dylan Tombides: West Ham confirm 20-year-old striker has died after battle with cancer
Secret to Liverpool’s title charge is Brendan Rodgers’ ability to keep changing formation – and Raheem Sterling’s gift of adapting to his manager’s wishes
Steven Gerrard profile: the Lion of Liverpool who embodies fight for Hillsborough justice and is poised to lead his club to a remarkable triumph
Spurs ‘agree deal’ with former Milan manager Massimiliano Allegri
- 1 KFC 'sorry' after lesbian couple are kicked out of Bath restaurant for 'heavy petting'
- 2 Dylan Tombides: West Ham confirm 20-year-old striker has died after battle with cancer
- 3 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 4 'Sinful': Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy comes under attack
- 5 PFA Player of the Year: Luis Suarez, Daniel Sturridge and Steven Gerrard all nominated as Liverpool dominate award shortlist