Brazil 3 Croatia 1 player ratings: Neymar? Ivica Olic? Luka Modric? Oscar? Who was the star man in the World Cup opener?
Friday 13 June 2014
Neymar, Brazil's Barcelona talisman, proved the key for the 3-1 victory in a sparkling - and controversial - match that may well set the tone for a World Cup of thrills and skills.
Each Brazil goal, two scored by Neymar - the second after a dubious penalty won by Fred - and a third by Oscar was greeted by a flurry of fireworks bursting across the Sao Paulo skyline.
But who was the man of the match in Sao Paulo? Click through our player ratings below
Brazil's next match is against Mexio in Fortaleza on Tuesday, while Cameroon take on Croatia on Wednesday.
Sales of the tablet are set to fall again, say analysts
World's most lethal spider found under a bunch of bananas
I Am Bread could actually be a challenging and nuanced title
Company decides to go for simply scary after criticising other sites for 'creepy and targeted' advertising
Footage shot by a passerby shows moment an ill man was carried out of his burning home
Peter Biaksangzuala died from his injuries in hospital on Sunday
Latest in Sport
'Adel Taarabt is about three stone overweight. I can't pick him' - Harry Redknapp
QPR vs Liverpool match report: Liverpool snatch victory in seven late minutes of madness
West Ham manager Sam Allardyce calm over lack of new contract
QPR vs Liverpool player ratings: Who was the star man? And did Mario Balotelli emerge with any credit?
Radamel Falcao: How faith and love drive the Manchester United striker to glory
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Ebola outbreak: What is bushmeat – and is it to blame for the disease that has killed thousands?
- 3 Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
- 4 Meet Thea, Norway's 12-year-old child bride
- 5 Russell Brand might seem like a sexy revolutionary worth getting behind, but he will only fail his fans