Brazil 3 Japan 0: Neymar shines for Brazil
Sunday 16 June 2013
Brazil opened the Confederations Cup with a comfortable 3-0 victory over Japan last night, goals from Neymar, Paulinho and Jo earning victory in Brasilia for the World Cup hosts.
Neymar showed why Barcelona paid £48m for his services last month with a magnificent volley from the edge of the area after Fred had chested down Marcelo’s cross.
The hosts dominated and added a second shortly after the interval, Paulinho, linked with a move to Tottenham, beating Eiji Kawashima. Former Manchester City striker Jo added a third in stoppage time. Mexico and Italy begin their Group A campaigns tonight, while Spain take on Uruguay in Group B in Recife.
Latest in Sport
Cristiano Ronaldo pays €60,000 for brain operation for 10-month-old boy
Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge: I don’t think we really realise what we are achieving as a team
Michael Schumacher 'experience' gives F1 legend chance to 'show his character', says Lewis Hamilton
Oscar Pistorius trial: Cricketer Herschelle Gibbs tweets 'lol #neveradullmoment' after autographed bat is used as evidence
Tottenham Hotspur 1 Benfica 3 match report: Spurs face an uphill battle in Europa League as manager Tim Sherwood gets into a scrap with rival
- 1 Arrest made after man is found by the side of the road with his penis cut off
- 2 Girl found in the Amazon rainforest with neighbour Grover Morales after going missing for 7 months
- 3 Tim Berners-Lee on creating the web: 'I never expected all these cats'
- 4 Malaysia flight MH370: Pitbull song lyrics bear uncanny resemblance to missing plane mystery, according to YouTubers
- 5 First Kiss viral video was just a clothing advert starring actors