Brazil vs Chile World Cup 2014: Fifa are investigating claims that a Brazilian official threw a punch at Chile striker Mauricio Pinilla during half-time
Brazilian newspapers reporting an incident in the tunnel during the match
Sunday 29 June 2014
Fifa have launched an investigation into reports that Chile striker Mauricio Pinilla was punched during half-time of the game in Belo Horizonte.
Brazilian newspaper Lance state that Brazil Football Confederation official Rodrigo Paiva threw a punch at Chile's No 9.
Paiva denies the claim, but did admit there was an incedent.
"There was pushing between the two sides," he told Lance.
"That always happens when everyone comes together. It was not an isolated incident and I did not punch anyone. It happens a lot and it has happened in other games too."
Fifa confirmed it was seeking more information before acting.
"There has been an incident and the disciplinary committee is currently analysing the matter," said spokeswoman Delia Fischer.
Pinilla could have won Chile the game in the last minute of extra-time but saw his shot cannon back off the bar.
Brazil went on to win the game on penalties, Julio Cesar making one of his two shoot-out saves against Pinilla.
Latest in Sport
Petr Cech demands talks over Chelsea future as Thibaut Courtois begs him to stay – as mentor
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Arsenal player ratings vs Besiktas
Besiktas vs Arsenal player ratings: Alexis Sanchez, Jack Wilshere, Calum Chambers - who was the Gunners star man?
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations