Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: Heartbreaking photos show home fans reacting to humiliating defeat
Fans across Brazil wept as they watched the semi-final match
Heartbreaking photos taken during the Fifa World Cup 2014 semi-final match on Tuesday show the dramatic reactions of devastated Brazil fans as they watch their home team taken down in a humiliating defeat by Germany.
In a matter of minutes, the German side scored five early goals against the Brazilian team.
In the second half, Germany claimed their victory by scoring twice more - meaning Brazil likely found little comfort in Oscar's goal secured in the 90th minute of the game.
Images from the Mineirao Stadium in Belo Horizonte and from telecasts across the country known as the spiritual home of football, show Brazil fans weeping and screaming in apparent disbelief. Others merely stare on in shock as Muller, Klose and Kedira score - with Schurrle and Kroos doing so twice.
Video: Brazilians react to humiliating loss
Fans who had gathered at the golden sands of Copacabana beach groaned and then eerie quiet from nearly the entire Fan Fest — except for a small contingent of about a dozen German supporters, who burst into excited cheers.
Brazil has spent billions of dollars preparing for the tournament, with expectations that home advantage could deliver Brazil a sixth title.
But with star striker Neymar out injured and captain Thiago Silva suspended for the semifinals, Brazilians were wary they could handle the Germans.
Latest in Sport
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers