Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: Heartbreaking photos show home fans reacting to humiliating defeat
Fans across Brazil wept as they watched the semi-final match
Heartbreaking photos taken during the Fifa World Cup 2014 semi-final match on Tuesday show the dramatic reactions of devastated Brazil fans as they watch their home team taken down in a humiliating defeat by Germany.
In a matter of minutes, the German side scored five early goals against the Brazilian team.
In the second half, Germany claimed their victory by scoring twice more - meaning Brazil likely found little comfort in Oscar's goal secured in the 90th minute of the game.
Images from the Mineirao Stadium in Belo Horizonte and from telecasts across the country known as the spiritual home of football, show Brazil fans weeping and screaming in apparent disbelief. Others merely stare on in shock as Muller, Klose and Kedira score - with Schurrle and Kroos doing so twice.
Video: Brazilians react to humiliating loss
Fans who had gathered at the golden sands of Copacabana beach groaned and then eerie quiet from nearly the entire Fan Fest — except for a small contingent of about a dozen German supporters, who burst into excited cheers.
Brazil has spent billions of dollars preparing for the tournament, with expectations that home advantage could deliver Brazil a sixth title.
But with star striker Neymar out injured and captain Thiago Silva suspended for the semifinals, Brazilians were wary they could handle the Germans.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 3 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 4 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims