Brazil vs Netherlands World Cup 2014: Jasper Cillessen becomes latest player to spark series of internet memes
Photoshopped pictures of the Dutch goalkeeper went viral
Sunday 13 July 2014
It has been a World Cup in which goals, shocks and controversy have all combined to provide arguably the most exciting tournament for some time.
However for some, Brazil 2014 may well be remembered as the World Cup of memes, from an airborne Robin van Persie to Luis Suarez's bite, this truly has been the tournament where people with far too much time on their hands have spent it crudely photoshopping footballers into a plethora of other pictures.
Perhaps mildly amusing if you've never seen one before, are eight years old or just a fan of bad photoshop work, the meme appears to have become as ubiquitous a part of football as diving or brightly-coloured boots.
Here are the latest 'hilarious' efforts from the brightest and best of the social media generation, this time involving the moment when Jasper Cillessen crouched down against his own post to line up a wall for a free-kick.
Under the hashtag #cillessensitsonthings the young Dutch keeper now has an online memento from this World Cup to no doubt be treasured almost as much as his third-place medal...
Latest in Sport
Phil Hughes injury: Cricket world reels as Australian opener 'fights for his life'
Arsenal vs Borussia Dortmund player ratings: Who was the star man at the Emirates? Alexis Sanchez? Santi Cazorla? Or Yaya Sanogo?
Phil Hughes: A swashbuckling, raw and talented batsman who had the world at his feet
Phil Hughes dead: List of players who have tragically died on the cricket pitch
Arsenal vs Borussia Dortmund report: Yaya Sanogo and Alexis Sanchez are on target as Gunners secure impressive victory
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings: Ridley Scott never considered casting 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he'd killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship