Brazil vs Netherlands World Cup 2014: Jasper Cillessen becomes latest player to spark series of internet memes
Photoshopped pictures of the Dutch goalkeeper went viral
Sunday 13 July 2014
It has been a World Cup in which goals, shocks and controversy have all combined to provide arguably the most exciting tournament for some time.
However for some, Brazil 2014 may well be remembered as the World Cup of memes, from an airborne Robin van Persie to Luis Suarez's bite, this truly has been the tournament where people with far too much time on their hands have spent it crudely photoshopping footballers into a plethora of other pictures.
Perhaps mildly amusing if you've never seen one before, are eight years old or just a fan of bad photoshop work, the meme appears to have become as ubiquitous a part of football as diving or brightly-coloured boots.
Here are the latest 'hilarious' efforts from the brightest and best of the social media generation, this time involving the moment when Jasper Cillessen crouched down against his own post to line up a wall for a free-kick.
Under the hashtag #cillessensitsonthings the young Dutch keeper now has an online memento from this World Cup to no doubt be treasured almost as much as his third-place medal...
Latest in Sport
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Is this bridge haunted by the ghost of nu rave?
- 3 Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
- 4 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 5 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories