Bridge and Terry must kiss and make up
Sunday 07 February 2010
Fabio Capello flew into snowy Warsaw yesterday hoping to concentrate on today's draw for the European Championship but knowing he has one more Bridge to cross after sacking John Terry as England's captain. He must still effect a reconciliation between Wayne Bridge and Terry, whose friendship was destroyed amid allegations of Terry's affair with the mother of the Manchester City defender's child.
The pair last played together against Belarus in October; Bridge, having returned against Hull yesterday after injury, should be available for England's friendly with Egypt in three weeks' time. "Let's hope wounds can be healed," said Gordon Taylor, a member of the FA's international committee, and who has spoken to both men. Terry will retain the captaincy of Chelsea and is certain to receive a rousing reception from the club's supporters this afternoon when he plays his first home game since the story broke, against Arsenal.
Do you qualify – and how do you get it?
The Mayor of London's sister, Rachel Johnson, apologises for shocking tweet about the PM
Actress isn't a fan of Ed Miliband
Video: The official full-length trailer for the Jurassic Park sequel has dropped – two days early
Latest in Sport
Phil Hughes head injury: Cricket world reels as Australian opener fights for his life
Sam Wallace: Players of Suarez’s standing just don’t sign for clubs like Liverpool
Phil Hughes injury: Batsman had one weakness – it has come back to haunt him
Manchester City vs Bayern Munich comment: Frank Lampard's part in City win shows folly of letting him leave
Schalke vs Chelsea: Roberto Di Matteo admits thrashing by former side was most painful defeat of his career
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Black Friday 2014: Opening hours for John Lewis, Asda, PC World, GAME and Argos
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'