Butcher considers Scotland role
Saturday 26 January 2008
Scotland's new managerial set-up could comprise an Auld Enemy alliance after Terry Butcher, the former England captain, said yesterday he will consider an invitation to join George Burley's coaching staff. Butcher, 49, out of work since leaving Brentford last month, has already spoken to his former Ipswich team-mate about the idea and could be appointed next week.
"I've spoken to George this week and we had a good chat," Butcher said. "He is an ex-colleague of mine from Ipswich and a good friend. He told me his plans for Scotland and I was very impressed. We will have to wait and see what happens, but I haven't got a job and I'll consider anything."
Rangers, four points clear at the top of the SPL this morning, will extend that lead to seven, for a day at least, if they beat St Mirren at Ibrox this afternoon. Celtic play at Falkirk tomorrow.
Rangers are hoping to strengthen their squad during this transfer window by buying the Aston Villa striker Luke Moore. It had been suggested Rangers' manager, Walter Smith, needs to sell first to buy, with Gabon international Daniel Cousin's proposed £3m move to Fulham delayed because the transfer needs sanctioning by Fifa.
Latest in Sport
Premier League 2015/16 kits: Confirmed and rumoured strips from Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and others
Michel Platini will consider pulling England and other Uefa members out of the World Cup if Sepp Blatter wins Fifa president election
Manchester United season player ratings: Grading Louis van Gaal's entire squad
Psychic penguins have made their pick for Arsenal vs Aston Villa in the FA Cup final...
How to boycott Fifa - a football fan's guide
- 1 Autistic adults could take pure MDMA to 'reduce social anxiety'
- 2 Before you complain about your GP, this is what you need to know about actually doing the job
- 3 Father of 12 accused of raping, beating, starving and abusing his own children in US 'cult'
- 4 Britain's Got Talent 2015: Jamie Raven divides Twitter as fans expose mind-boggling magic trick
- 5 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: not a Mexican demon being summoned — it's gravity