CAF chief criticises players' self-interest
Saturday 19 January 2008
The president of the Confederation of African Football, Issa Hayatou, yesterday slapped down criticism by players of the timing of the Africa Nations Cup, telling them to stop putting their own interest first.
Hayatou, addressing a pre-tournament CAF congress here, continued his firm line on the future of the tournament, whose timing has been criticised in recent months. Among those bemoaning the holding of the event in the middle of the European season, where top African players earn their living, have been the likes of Samuel Eto'o, Michael Essien and El Hadji Diouf.
All have left their clubs at a key moment of the season to play in the Nations Cup, which starts in Ghana tomorrow.
"The players who criticise the event should learn to put the interests of African football above their own," Hayatou said.
He again blamed climatic conditions in Africa as a reason for not switching the event to mid-year when club seasons are completed. He also said Africa would also continue to hold the event every two years.
But CAF did make a minor concession earlier this week when they announced that the 2010 Nations Cup would start 10 days earlier, running from 10 to 31 January in Angola. This will benefit clubs in countries where the leagues have a winter break.
Latest in Sport
Petr Cech demands talks over Chelsea future as Thibaut Courtois begs him to stay – as mentor
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Sami Khedira to Arsenal: Midfield omitted from Real Madrid squad for Spanish Super Cup
David Gold furious after Carlton Cole parody account mocks up a picture of West Ham chairman as a suspect in the Madeleine McCann case
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Police shoot and kill second young black man near Ferguson
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 4 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence