Capello puts back Terry call for fear of further scandal

Concern more revelations may follow delays England manager's captaincy decision

Fabio Capello and his advisers are concerned that further revelations about John Terry this weekend could undermine any decision on him continuing as England captain made before then and are considering delaying an announcement until Sunday at the very least.

The England manager is back in London tomorrow and the Football Association want some kind of announcement from their manager to relieve the pressure over Terry's future but they are increasingly concerned about the subsequent impact of more embarrassing details.

It is becoming clear that Terry's fate is not just dependent on the details of his alleged affair with Vanessa Perroncel, the ex-fiancee of England team-mate Wayne Bridge that are already in the public realm. The England camp are also concerned about what may come out if Perroncel, as anticipated, sells the intimate details of her side of the story to the News of the World. As with the Tiger Woods story last year, they feel that any early decision could be undermined by subsequent disclosures.

Capello is due to have the last check-up with his surgeon who operated on his knee this morning before coming back to Britain. Those close to him say he has kept an open mind on whether Terry retains the captaincy and, having been in Switzerland, has not been subject to the blanket coverage the saga has been given since the super-injunction was lifted on Friday.

As reported yesterday, Terry is considering offering Capello his resignation when the two meet at the end of the week, in order to give his manager an easier way of solving the growing problem. Capello is due in Warsaw on Sunday for the Euro 2012 qualifying draw and will have to speak then at the very latest about Terry's situation.

The Chelsea captain was due to play in last night's game against Hull City. The club have not confirmed or denied the reports that he will be given permission to miss Chelsea FA Cup fifth round tie against Cardiff City on 13 February in order to fly to Dubai where his wife is currently on holiday with his children.

Gordon Taylor, the chief executive of the Professional Footballers' Association reflected the unwillingness of his members to take sides when he said yesterday that both Bridge and Terry could still play in the same England squad. "You have two players who have had a bust-up over serious personal reasons," he said. "We have had these situations at clubs before.

"I remember when Manchester United won the Treble [in 1999]. It was said that Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham weren't exactly on speaking terms, but they worked very well together."