Capello was 'unfair' in not playing Green
Saturday 02 April 2011
Avram Grant yesterday criticised Fabio Capello for failing to give Robert Green a minute of action during England's two internationals last week and praised his goalkeeper's fine form during West Ham United's attempt to avoid relegation.
Green was tipped for a first England appearance since his blunder against USA at the World Cup, following three clean sheets in five Premier League games before the fixtures against Wales and Ghana.
His manager Grant, whose West Ham side face Manchester United at Upton Park today, could not see the benefit of including Green and playing Joe Hart instead.
Grant, agreeing Capello had been unfair on Green, said: "Yes, because he is in very good shape.
"When everybody else played he deserves to play for two reasons. Firstly, the manager changed all the team. Secondly, if you look at Green in the last month he was the best goalkeeper in the country. Players will always make mistakes but for me it's not so important. It's important they recover. And he has recovered very well from the World Cup."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Migrant crisis: Greek soldier saved 20 people singlehandedly off Rhodes beach
- 2 Frank Lampard's face drops when Holly Willoughby introduces him as a 'Man City legend'
- 3 UK weather: Britain braced for snow as arctic air mass moves in
- 4 Aaron and Melissa Klein: Oregon anti-gay bakers ordered to pay $135,000 after refusing to make cake for same-sex wedding
- 5 General Election 2015: Stephen Hawking says he will vote Labour