Capello was 'unfair' in not playing Green
Saturday 02 April 2011
Avram Grant yesterday criticised Fabio Capello for failing to give Robert Green a minute of action during England's two internationals last week and praised his goalkeeper's fine form during West Ham United's attempt to avoid relegation.
Green was tipped for a first England appearance since his blunder against USA at the World Cup, following three clean sheets in five Premier League games before the fixtures against Wales and Ghana.
His manager Grant, whose West Ham side face Manchester United at Upton Park today, could not see the benefit of including Green and playing Joe Hart instead.
Grant, agreeing Capello had been unfair on Green, said: "Yes, because he is in very good shape.
"When everybody else played he deserves to play for two reasons. Firstly, the manager changed all the team. Secondly, if you look at Green in the last month he was the best goalkeeper in the country. Players will always make mistakes but for me it's not so important. It's important they recover. And he has recovered very well from the World Cup."
Latest in Sport
2014 World Cup draw: Roy Hodgson raises possibility of England switching base away from Rio de Janeiro
World Cup 2014 draw: Daunting draw but England have nothing to lose against Uruguay, Italy and Costa Rica
Liverpool 5 Norwich 1: Brendan Rodgers takes a swipe at Arsenal by claiming Luis Suarez is now worth '£40m and two pounds'
Transfer news: Manchester United's ambitious transfer plans at risk from possible failure to qualify for Champions League
World Cup draw 2014: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail