Chamberlain gets Under-21 call-up
Thursday 03 February 2011
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, the 17-year-old Southampton winger, has been called into the England Under-21 side for the first time.
Oxlade-Chamberlain is one of three newcomers, along with Burnley forward Jay Rodriguez and Middlesbrough defender Joe Bennett, in Stuart Pearce's squad for next week's friendly against Italy in Tuscany.
Pearce said: "I saw Southampton play Manchester United in the FA Cup and Alex is showing a lot of promise." Jordan Henderson returns to the U21s after making his senior debut last year as the age-group side prepare for this summer's European Championship.
Latest in Sport
Norwich 2 Liverpool 3 match report: Liverpool go five points clear of Chelsea at top of Premier League table on day Luis Suarez hits goal number 30
Jose Mourinho: Graceless reaction of Chelsea manager a sad effort to hide his own flaws
Luis Suarez and the 'Easter miracle': Liverpool striker shows both sides as he reaches 30 Premier League goals but play acts yet again
David Moyes says Manchester United passed 'brilliantly', despite 2-0 defeat to Everton
Liverpool: Three remaining fixtures - can they remain on top of the Premier League table?
- 1 Disabled people are trapped in assessment 'nightmare' by PIP benefits regime, says Dr Stephen Duckworth
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Queen turns 88: David Bailey captures another side of the Queen in birthday portrait
- 4 Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
- 5 Criminals ‘using unmanned drones and infrared cameras to find illegal cannabis farms’ – and then steal from the growers