Chance to make finals still in my hands, says James
Wednesday 09 November 2005
In the past 14 months, James has fallen from being first-choice goalkeeper to being left out of the squad by Sven Goran Eriksson for the final four World Cup qualifying group ties.
James has been handed his latest opportunity, for the friendly against Argentina in Geneva on Saturday, by the injury to the West Bromwich Albion goalkeeper Chris Kirkland.
"I would be extremely disappointed not to make the squad for the finals because I believe I am one of the best three English keepers," James said. "All I can do is my best and make sure I am ready when the call comes."
The Real Madrid defender Jonathan Woodgate is "furious" at sustaining another injury, which ruled him out of the Argentina match. "I thought 'not again!' and I felt angry and furious, but everyone around me really helped."
"Fortunately, the injury has nothing to do with the other one [the thigh problem which kept him out of action for 18 months]."
David Moyes believes Phil Neville should fill the left-back void for England on Saturday, a position he has been playing for his club of late. "Phil Neville will always give you his best," Moyes said. "He is in good form and good condition and mentally he is a winner."
Latest in Sport
Manchester United can learn lessons from the transfer template of rivals Manchester City
Pavement The Forum, London
Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea top the list of the Premier League's most expensive squads
Bayern Munich 'training camp' to supply refugees with food, footballs and German lessons
David De Gea, Peter Odemwingie and the 18 weirdest transfer deadline day stories
- 1 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 4 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 5 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'