Chance to make finals still in my hands, says James
Wednesday 09 November 2005
In the past 14 months, James has fallen from being first-choice goalkeeper to being left out of the squad by Sven Goran Eriksson for the final four World Cup qualifying group ties.
James has been handed his latest opportunity, for the friendly against Argentina in Geneva on Saturday, by the injury to the West Bromwich Albion goalkeeper Chris Kirkland.
"I would be extremely disappointed not to make the squad for the finals because I believe I am one of the best three English keepers," James said. "All I can do is my best and make sure I am ready when the call comes."
The Real Madrid defender Jonathan Woodgate is "furious" at sustaining another injury, which ruled him out of the Argentina match. "I thought 'not again!' and I felt angry and furious, but everyone around me really helped."
"Fortunately, the injury has nothing to do with the other one [the thigh problem which kept him out of action for 18 months]."
David Moyes believes Phil Neville should fill the left-back void for England on Saturday, a position he has been playing for his club of late. "Phil Neville will always give you his best," Moyes said. "He is in good form and good condition and mentally he is a winner."
Latest in Sport
Andy Murray tells how coach Amélie Mauresmo revealed her pregnancy
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: The biggest fight of all time, or maybe just the most lucrative?
What time does Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao start?
Everton 3 Manchester United 0 player ratings: Who scored lower - Marouane Fellaini or Radamel Falcao?
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: What time does it start and where can I watch it?
- 1 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 2 Migrant crisis: Greek soldier saved 20 people singlehandedly off Rhodes beach
- 3 Sofyen Belamouadden murder: The inside story of a crime that horrified Britain
- 4 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 5 UK weather: Britain braced for snow to replace sun as arctic air mass moves in