Chelsea defender David Luiz to undergo surgery on broken nose after Confederations Cup duty
Brazilian suffered injury in a clash with teammate Thiago Silva while on international duty in victory of Mexico
Thursday 20 June 2013
Chelsea defender David Luiz requires surgery after suffering a broken nose playing for Brazil.
The 26-year-old incurred the injury in a collision with team-mate Thiago Silva during the Selecao's Confederations Cup defeat of Mexico.
Luiz, who struggled to stem the flow of blood following the blow, will go under the knife following the tournament, he said.
"Yes, my nose is broken, but that's part of the game," Luiz said in quotes published on chelseafc.com.
"Now I'll have to wait until the end of the competition and undergo surgery to fix it."
Latest in Sport
Diego Costa injury: Chelsea striker a doubt for Everton match due to muscle injury
Arsenal transfer news: Gunners 'use Champions League draw to discuss move' for PSG teenager Adrien Rabiot
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger says he will be 'actively involved' on deadline day... but may not buy a striker despite Giroud injury
England manager Roy Hodgson lectures Luke Shaw over fitness issues
Champions League draw: Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City learn group stage fate
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''