Chris Coleman 'embarrassed' by Welsh capitulation against Serbia
Serbia 6 Wales 1
The Karadjordje Stadium
Wednesday 12 September 2012
Wales slumped to their biggest defeat in almost 16 years to leave their World Cup qualification hopes in ruins.
Chris Coleman, the manager, said: "I'm embarrassed about the result and I take responsibility.
"6-1 is an absolute hammering and it could have been more. That stings me even more. I did not see it coming. We were confident of getting something here, but we can't accept that level of performance
"Disappointment is an underestimate and it was men against boys. The goals we conceded were criminal and you can't gift goals like that at this level. There were far too many individual errors. Words fail me. You have to play with pride and we didn't do that. It was a dreadful performance."
Following their opening Group A loss to Belgium, Coleman's side now have a mountain to climb after just two matches. Aleksandar Kolarov, the Manchester City left-back, opened the scoring in the 16th minute, before providing the assist for Zoran Tosic's close-range strike eight minutes later.
Gareth Bale offered Wales a glimmer of hope with an excellent 30-yard free-kick. But Serbia, who had failed to score in eight of their last 10 internationals, exploited poor Welsh defending with Filip Djuricic, Dusan Tadic, Branislav Ivanovic and Miralem Sulejmani inflicting further punishment.
Video: It is the type of thing no parent wants to hear
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Play-acting mystifies me. I was taught not to show pain
Phil Hughes dead: List of players who have tragically died on the cricket pitch
Nani transfer: No future for winger at Sporting Lisbon as club cannot afford his wages when loan deal with Manchester United runs out
This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Tottenham Hotspur vs Partizan Belgrade match report: Spurs go through in Europa League - but pitch invaders grab the attention
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings casting controversy: Ridley Scott would never cast 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship