Chris Coleman 'embarrassed' by Welsh capitulation against Serbia
Serbia 6 Wales 1
The Karadjordje Stadium
Wednesday 12 September 2012
Wales slumped to their biggest defeat in almost 16 years to leave their World Cup qualification hopes in ruins.
Chris Coleman, the manager, said: "I'm embarrassed about the result and I take responsibility.
"6-1 is an absolute hammering and it could have been more. That stings me even more. I did not see it coming. We were confident of getting something here, but we can't accept that level of performance
"Disappointment is an underestimate and it was men against boys. The goals we conceded were criminal and you can't gift goals like that at this level. There were far too many individual errors. Words fail me. You have to play with pride and we didn't do that. It was a dreadful performance."
Following their opening Group A loss to Belgium, Coleman's side now have a mountain to climb after just two matches. Aleksandar Kolarov, the Manchester City left-back, opened the scoring in the 16th minute, before providing the assist for Zoran Tosic's close-range strike eight minutes later.
Gareth Bale offered Wales a glimmer of hope with an excellent 30-yard free-kick. But Serbia, who had failed to score in eight of their last 10 internationals, exploited poor Welsh defending with Filip Djuricic, Dusan Tadic, Branislav Ivanovic and Miralem Sulejmani inflicting further punishment.
Latest in Sport
Anderlecht vs Arsenal match report: Kieran Gibbs and Lukas Podolski pounce as Arsenal leave it late
Liverpool vs Real Madrid player ratings: Was Cristiano Ronaldo the star man? And how did Mario Balotelli fare?
Liverpool vs Real Madrid match report: Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema run Reds ragged at Anfield
Arsenal player ratings
Mario Balotelli substituted at half-time against Real Madrid: Was this shirt swapping the real reason?
- 1 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
- 2 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery reports: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Couple die within 28 hours of each other after being married for 73 years