Comeback king Parker is fans' player of year
The Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Scott Parker has been voted the England supporters' player of the year, just 12 months after he returned from an exile from the England team of more than four years.
Parker, 31, was brought back into the fold against Denmark in February of last year having not played for his country for five years before then. He has gone on to win seven more caps and establish himself as a key player in the side.
Parker, who finished ahead of Joe Hart (second) and Ashley Young in a vote on the Football Association website, said: "I don't think I ever lost hope that I could make it at international level. I probably crammed in a lot in one year, because it's only been this year that I have got in the side and established myself in the squad. I never lost hope, I realised time was ticking and I'm pleased the year's gone the way it has."
Latest in Sport
Radamel Falcao exclusive: Forward says joining Manchester United is a 'dream come true'
Arsenal transfer news: Ray Parlour urges Arsene Wenger to make late move for Edinson Cavani
WWE Raw preview: Will John Cena continue to defy the threat of Brock Lesnar?
Danny Welbeck to Arsenal: Arsene Wenger pictured in Rome as club close in on Manchester United striker for £17m
Danny Welbeck signs for Arsenal: Gunners confirm signing from Manchester United
- 1 Al Pacino on suffering from depression: 'It can last and it's terrifying'
- 2 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 3 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127