Confederations Cup: Spain lifted by Alba double
Monday 24 June 2013
Spain survived a stiff first-half examination from Nigeria to clinch their place in the last four of the Confederations Cup yesterday. Two goals by Jordi Alba and another from Fernando Torres set up a semi-final showdown with Italy.
The rematch will be a chance for Italy to get even for their humiliating 4-0 defeat to Spain in last year's European Championship final.
Alba opened the scoring in the third minute, the Barcelona left-back finishing off a flowing one-touch move involving club team-mates Pedro and Andres Iniesta. Yet Spain were very much on the backfoot for the rest of the half with Nigeria missing a number of good chances.
Torres made the game safe with a header in the 62nd minute, three minutes after replacing Roberto Soldado and Alba picked up his second with two minutes to go.
In the other game in the group Abel Hernandez hit four goals as Uruguay's second-string beat Tahiti 8-0. Uruguay play hosts Brazil in the last four. Tahiti conc-eded 24 goals in their three games.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal have no plans to stock Petr Cech inspired caps in club shops - yet
Nathaniel Clyne joins Liverpool: Transfer news live - Arda Turan decision, Petr Cech reaction, Sergio Ramos to Manchester United
Christian Benteke to Liverpool: Aston Villa striker ready to reject Tottenham
Nigel Pearson: Leicester City sack manager despite Premier League survival
Arda Turan announcement expected on Friday: Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United possible destinations
- 1 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 2 Russian officials ban yoga because it's too much like a religious cult
- 3 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 4 Ginger Pride festival to take place next summer, organisers say 'time of bullying gingers is over'
- 5 Facebook rainbow profile pictures likely being tracked by social network