Confederations Cup: Spain lifted by Alba double
Monday 24 June 2013
Spain survived a stiff first-half examination from Nigeria to clinch their place in the last four of the Confederations Cup yesterday. Two goals by Jordi Alba and another from Fernando Torres set up a semi-final showdown with Italy.
The rematch will be a chance for Italy to get even for their humiliating 4-0 defeat to Spain in last year's European Championship final.
Alba opened the scoring in the third minute, the Barcelona left-back finishing off a flowing one-touch move involving club team-mates Pedro and Andres Iniesta. Yet Spain were very much on the backfoot for the rest of the half with Nigeria missing a number of good chances.
Torres made the game safe with a header in the 62nd minute, three minutes after replacing Roberto Soldado and Alba picked up his second with two minutes to go.
In the other game in the group Abel Hernandez hit four goals as Uruguay's second-string beat Tahiti 8-0. Uruguay play hosts Brazil in the last four. Tahiti conc-eded 24 goals in their three games.
Latest in Sport
Royal Rumble 2015: Roman Reigns triumphs after The Rock returns to set-up Wrestlemania showdown with Brock Lesnar
Google trolls Tottenham with Oxford dictionary definition of 'lackadaisical'
Gabriel Paulista: Talented Brazilian could grow into world-class defender at Arsenal
Phil Neville backtracks on Tomas Rosicky 'I'd smash him' comments from Match of the Day 2
Floyd Mayweather ends the carnival this week and picks his next fight - but will it be Amir Khan, Manny Pacquiao or Miguel Cotto
- 1 Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Dog thinks owner is drowning in lake, dives in and tries to pull him out
- 4 Christian blogger says she will not wear leggings in public because they entice men and cause them to look at her 'lustfully'
- 5 Thank heavens for Louise Mensch and her foul-mouthed tweets to world leaders