Craig Bellamy set to retire from international duty with Wales
The Cardiff City striker admits he's unlikely to be around after current qualification process
Wednesday 05 June 2013
Craig Bellamy is set to bring down the curtain on his international career when Wales complete their current World Cup qualifying campaign.
Defeat against Croatia in March ended the Dragons' hopes of reaching the 2014 finals in Brazil, and a third-placed finish is the best they can hope for in Group A.
Cardiff striker Bellamy, who has won 73 caps, had said in February he had no intention of retiring from international duty, but has now admitted he is unlikely to be around for the Euro 2016 campaign.
He told The Sun: "We can't finish first or second in our group so I want us to finish third.
"Then that will be it. I don't think I will have any more to offer."
He added: "I won't see a major tournament.
"I've had too many injuries that have taken too big an effect on me.
"But I personally believe in the next four, six, eight years we will qualify for a major tournament.
"We are just too good not to if we get the structure right. We have so many good players."
Latest in Sport
Rio Ferdinand interview: 'If my ban is the benchmark, Malky Mackay better beware...'
Tyson Fury vs Dereck Chisora and Billy Joe Saunders vs Chris Eubank Jr: weigh-in LIVE
Nani transfer: No future for winger at Sporting Lisbon as club cannot afford his wages when loan deal with Manchester United runs out
This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Premier League injury list: Chelsea have it best with just one player out, while Manchester United have eight and Newcastle a massive 13
- 1 School playground evacuated over 'unusually aggressive' grey squirrel
- 2 Hollywood actor Mickey Rourke beats opponent 33 years his junior in exhibition boxing match
- 3 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 4 Today was a bad day for renters, landlords, and democracy
- 5 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school