Cristiano Ronaldo: Was the Portugal striker the saddest man at the World Cup?
Not even a goal could bring a smile to his face
Cristiano Ronaldo has bowed out of the 2014 World Cup. He leaves Brazil with a goal, an assist and three different haircuts to his name, but not a smile.
The world's best player came to the tournament wanting to cement his legendary status. But after his Portugal team capitulated in their first game against Germany it was always an uphill struggle and with CR7 clearly struggling with a niggling injury, he was unable to make the impact he so desired.
He did produce a wicked delivery for Silvestre Varela to head in against the United States and he poked home in the final game against Ghana - but not even those moments were enough to bring a smile from the Real Madrid player.
When this tournament is remembered, if Ronnie comes to mind it will be only of his frowning face as these images show.
Latest in Sport
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: The best memes as the internet reacts to imminent £16m transfer
Sami Khedira to Arsenal? Arsene Wenger reveals the Gunners are still in the market for defensive midfielder
Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
Manchester United transfer news: Louis van Gaal tried and failed to sign German stars Thomas Muller and Marco Reus this summer
Tracey Emin: My Life In A Column
- 1 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 4 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
- 5 Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation