Cristiano Ronaldo: Was the Portugal striker the saddest man at the World Cup?
Not even a goal could bring a smile to his face
Cristiano Ronaldo has bowed out of the 2014 World Cup. He leaves Brazil with a goal, an assist and three different haircuts to his name, but not a smile.
The world's best player came to the tournament wanting to cement his legendary status. But after his Portugal team capitulated in their first game against Germany it was always an uphill struggle and with CR7 clearly struggling with a niggling injury, he was unable to make the impact he so desired.
He did produce a wicked delivery for Silvestre Varela to head in against the United States and he poked home in the final game against Ghana - but not even those moments were enough to bring a smile from the Real Madrid player.
When this tournament is remembered, if Ronnie comes to mind it will be only of his frowning face as these images show.
Latest in Sport
Chelsea transfer news: Blues linked with £43m deal for Atletico Madrid forward Antoine Griezmann
Juventus 2 Real Madrid 1 player ratings: Carlos Tevez, Cristiano Ronaldo and Alvaro Morata on target - but who scored highest?
David Beckham reveals secret of his success: I 'stayed in to watch Match of the Day' rather than go out with friends on a Saturday night
Cristiano Ronaldo sticks up for Japanese boy after he struggles to speak Portuguese
Patrice Evra points to 'Manchester United blood' after Carlos Tevez inspires Juventus win over Real Madrid
- 1 Katie Hopkins gives rare glimpse of sensitive side with heartfelt open letter to her children penned in case she dies from epilepsy
- 2 Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 4 #JeSuisEd: People share photos of themselves eating awkwardly in solidarity with Labour leader
- 5 Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds