Czech Republic striker Milan Baros retires from international football
Friday 22 June 2012
Milan Baros has retired from international football with the Czech Republic.
The 30-year-old made the announcement after his country's Euro 2012 quarter-final defeat to Portugal on Thursday night, with the Czech football federation's website confirming he received "long applause" from his team-mates in the dressing room.
Baros, who is currently with Turkish side Galatasaray having played for Liverpool and Aston Villa earlier in his career, played 93 times for the Czechs, scoring 41 goals. He was the top scorer at Euro 2004 with five goals.
A report on fotbal.cz, the federation's official site, stated: "(Baros' retirement) had been speculated about for some time. The 30-year-old has been the subject of sharp criticism, culminating in the first Euro 2012 match against Russia. When Baros was substituted, some fans booed him."
The federation said Baros was expected to make an official statement later today.
Latest in Sport
Phil Hughes head injury: Cricket world reels as Australian opener fights for his life
Robin van Persie says it's 'still possible' for Manchester United to win the Premier League title this season, but admits it will be 'very hard'
Sam Wallace: Players of Suarez’s standing just don’t sign for clubs like Liverpool
Lionel Messi transfer news: Manuel Pellegrini dismisses £200m Manchester City move for Barcelona star as 'rumours and only rumours'
Manchester United named Premier League's loudest fans despite late push by Chelsea according to 'Smart Meter' app
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?