De Boer urges winter move for 2022 World Cup
Friday 12 October 2012
Ronald de Boer, who helped Qatar win the right to host the 2022 World Cup, is calling for the tournament to be moved to winter.
The former Netherlands midfielder, who works for Qatar as a football adviser, appealed to the nation's leadership to heed Uefa president Michel Platini's request that the tournament is not staged in the sweltering summer heat.
"We went for the summer, of course... but you have a lot of people doubting that and you look for other possibilities," De Boer said. "And I said already from the start, 'Why not [the winter]?"'
Latest in Sport
Daniel Sturridge injury: Alongside Luis Suarez, how the Liverpool SAS may FAIL to become the most lethal partnership in Premier League history
Arsenal: Four remaining fixtures - will they beat Everton to the final Champions League place?
Liverpool: Four remaining fixtures - can they stay top of the Premier League table?
Luis Suarez: Could Liverpool cash in on their star striker if they won the Premier League this season?
Barcelona 1 Real Madrid 2 match report: Gareth Bale scores wonder goal to claim Copa del Rey for Real
- 1 Poveglia: 'World's most haunted island' up for sale...is anyone brave enough to buy it?
- 2 Babies cry at night to stop mothers procreating, scientists claim
- 3 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 4 Andre Johnson: Wu-Tang Clan-discovered rapper severed his penis and jumped from LA building
- 5 Mrs Doubtfire 2: Robin Williams set to star in sequel to 1993 comedy