De Boer urges winter move for 2022 World Cup
Friday 12 October 2012
Ronald de Boer, who helped Qatar win the right to host the 2022 World Cup, is calling for the tournament to be moved to winter.
The former Netherlands midfielder, who works for Qatar as a football adviser, appealed to the nation's leadership to heed Uefa president Michel Platini's request that the tournament is not staged in the sweltering summer heat.
"We went for the summer, of course... but you have a lot of people doubting that and you look for other possibilities," De Boer said. "And I said already from the start, 'Why not [the winter]?"'
Latest in Sport
Pornhub: Cheeky Liverpool fan uploads Philippe Coutinho wonder-goal video to adult website
Liverpool injury news: Brendan Rodgers could be without up to seven players for Burnley game... as Jordon Ibe posts picture of knee brace
Arsenal shareholders Stan Kroenke, Alisher Usmanov and Farhad Moshiri appear on Forbes' rich list - with a combined net worth of £14.9bn
Watch the moment a basketball player reassures a small boy after a mass brawl erupted on court
Jon Stewart brings The Daily Show to WWE Raw as Seth Rollins pays the price for feud with TV presenter
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw