Elmander back to lift Sweden
Wednesday 30 May 2012
The Sweden manager, Erik Hamren, included Johan Elmander in his Euro 2012 squad yesterday after receiving positive news about the striker's fitness. Elmander suffered a foot injury playing for Galatasary at the end of the Turkish club season but tests suggest the former Bolton Wanderers player will be fit in time for the team's first game against Ukraine on 11 June.
After opening their campaign against the hosts, Sweden take on England before playing France. Hamren said of Group D: "It is a tough, uncertain group. We could have three good matches and still not progress. The first aim is to advance to the quarter-finals."
The Ukraine coach, Oleg Blokhin, omitted the goalkeeper Olexandr Bandura, defender Vitaly Mandzyuk and midfielder Taras Stepanenko from his final squad yesterday. Former Chelsea striker Andriy Shevchenko and ex-Liverpool forward Andriy Voronin were both included.
Latest in Sport
Pornhub: Cheeky Liverpool fan uploads Philippe Coutinho wonder-goal video to adult website
Diego Costa keeps coin thrown at him during Capital One Cup final
Lukas Podolski corner: Has the Arsenal forward taken the worst corner of all time?
Ireland 19 England 9 player ratings: Jonathan Sexton? Devin Toner? Alex Goode? Who was the star man in Dublin?
Eden Hazard didn't like the champagne on offer in the Chelsea dressing room
- 1 Bill Clinton portrait features Monica Lewinsky reference, artist admits
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 Average penis size revealed: Scientists attempt to find what is 'normal' to reassure concerned men