Elmander back to lift Sweden
Wednesday 30 May 2012
The Sweden manager, Erik Hamren, included Johan Elmander in his Euro 2012 squad yesterday after receiving positive news about the striker's fitness. Elmander suffered a foot injury playing for Galatasary at the end of the Turkish club season but tests suggest the former Bolton Wanderers player will be fit in time for the team's first game against Ukraine on 11 June.
After opening their campaign against the hosts, Sweden take on England before playing France. Hamren said of Group D: "It is a tough, uncertain group. We could have three good matches and still not progress. The first aim is to advance to the quarter-finals."
The Ukraine coach, Oleg Blokhin, omitted the goalkeeper Olexandr Bandura, defender Vitaly Mandzyuk and midfielder Taras Stepanenko from his final squad yesterday. Former Chelsea striker Andriy Shevchenko and ex-Liverpool forward Andriy Voronin were both included.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery reports: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Video: Boxer Vido Loncar brutally assaults referee following defeat