England 1 Italy 2 player ratings: Who scored higher - Raheem Sterling or Andrea Pirlo?
A look at the performances in this Group D meeting
Sunday 15 June 2014
England's World Cup campaign finally got underway as they narrowly lost to Italy in an exciting encounter.
Raheem Sterling almost scored a screamer early on, with even the BBC briefly registering it as a goal before the world realised it had hit the side netting.
However it was Italy who took the lead through Claudio Marchisio and a clever corner routine.
England equalised almost immediately though through Daniel Sturridge and went into half time at 1-1.
In the end though Mario Balotelli put Italy back in front early in the second half and England never managed to level things back up.
Here, we take a look at how the players rated...
Who do you think was the stand out player? Let us know in the comments below.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 2 Perez Hilton apologises for Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
- 5 Jennifer Lawrence 'naked sex video' will be leaked threatens 4Chan celebrity photo hacker