England drop to lowest Fifa world rankings position since Steve McClaren era
The Three Lions are now 15th in the world
Thursday 04 July 2013
England have dropped to 15th in FIFA's world rankings - the team's lowest position since 2008.
Roy Hodgson's side have dropped out of the top 10 and now rank below the Ivory Coast and Bosnia-Herzegovina.
It is England's worst ranking for five years - since the team managed by Steve McClaren missed out on playing in Euro 2008.
England have not been ranked lower since the turn of the millennium, with a low point of 16th in early 2001.
Brazil, meanwhile, whose ranking had suffered by not playing competitive qualifiers ahead of hosting next year's World Cup, have gone back into the top 10 following their Confederations Cup triumph, up 13 places to ninth.
Beaten Confederation Cup finalists Spain retain top ranking ahead of Germany.
Colombia are surprisingly ranked third thanks to some impressive results in the World Cup qualifiers. Belgium have made it into the top 10 for the first time ever.
Scotland have soared 24 places to 50th, the Republic of Ireland have dropped three spots to 44th and Wales are down a place to 46th. Northern Ireland are up three places to 111th.
Latest in Sport
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: The biggest fight of all time, or maybe just the most lucrative?
What time does Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao start?
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: What time does it start and where can I watch it?
Sir Alex Ferguson reveals who he thinks is better between Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi
Chelsea transfer news: 'Eden Hazard will cost Real Madrid £100m - and a Galactico,' says Jose Mourinho
- 1 Woman 'suffocates newborn baby in plastic bag and puts it in her desk minutes after giving birth'
- 2 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years