England plummet to 15th in Fifa world rankings in blow to World Cup hopes
England now below Serbia
Friday 05 July 2013
Roy Hodgson's England side have dropped to a five-year low of 15th place in Fifa's world rankings.
It is the team's lowest position since 2008, when the Three Lions, managed by Steve McClaren, missed out on playing in Euro 2008 and saw their ranking also drop to 15th.
It is a shock for Hodgson given that it was only in September that England were basking in their highest-ever position of third in the world.
Rankings are important because they determine seeding positions in the draw for the World Cup finals – in 2010, Fabio Capello's England were ranked seventh and were selected as one of the eight top seeds meaning they avoided the likes of Italy, Brazil and Spain in the group stage.
Culinary experts in The Netherlands thought it was 'fresh' and 'tasty'
Of all the computers Apple has ever made there’s only one that Steve Jobs had to sell his car to finance
Actress sees off speculation about her face in an amazing way
Marvel has released first teaser trailer week early after it leaked online
Latest in Sport
Anderlecht vs Arsenal match report: Kieran Gibbs and Lukas Podolski pounce as Arsenal leave it late
Manchester United vs Chelsea: Daley Blind admits United must 'play our best game' to get a result at Old Trafford
Liverpool vs Real Madrid player ratings: Was Cristiano Ronaldo the star man? And how did Mario Balotelli fare?
Liverpool vs Real Madrid match report: Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema run Reds ragged at Anfield
Mario Balotelli substituted at half-time against Real Madrid: Was shirt swapping the real reason?
- 1 As an ex prostitute, I urge all the political parties to commit to the Sex Buyer Law
- 2 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
- 3 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Couple die within 28 hours of each other after being married for 73 years