England slip to seventh in Fifa world rankings
Draw with Montenegro sees Portugal and Croatia go ahead
Thursday 11 April 2013
England have dropped three places in the latest FIFA world rankings following their 1-1 World Cup qualifying draw in Montenegro.
Roy Hodgson's side also cashed in with an 8-0 win over San Marino but that was not enough to keep them from slipping to seventh place, overtaken by Portugal (fifth) and Croatia (fourth).
The top three of Spain, Germany and Argentina remain unchanged.
The Republic of Ireland are the next highest of the home nations, moving up a place to 39th following qualifying draws against Austria and Sweden.
Wales have leapt 22 spots from 71st to 49th, with their 2-1 win in Scotland counting against a defeat by the same scoreline to Croatia.
The Scots, meanwhile, find themselves in 77th position - down 11 - following that defeat and another in Serbia.
The most chastening news, though, is saved for Northern Ireland.
They have slumped to 119th, falling from 98th last month, having lost their only match at home to Israel.
That puts them below the likes of Antigua and Barbuda, Surinam and Tajikistan in the rankings.
Latest in Sport
Mario Balotelli: Time running out for ‘lost boy’ to shine
Liverpool fans applaud Cristiano Ronaldo after master-class for Real Madrid, despite his Manchester United ties
In other places I would have been sacked straight after 8-0 Southampton defeat, says Sunderland manager Gus Poyet
Angel Di Maria injury latest: Argentina international set to play in Manchester United vs Chelsea match
Liverpool vs Real Madrid match report: Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema run Reds ragged at Anfield
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 4 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo shot dead at war memorial
- 5 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella