England to face French test at Euro 2012
Friday 02 December 2011
England will play France, Sweden and co-hosts Ukraine in the group stage of Euro 2012.
The four teams were drawn together in Group D at a ceremony in Kiev tonight.
The Republic of Ireland were handed a tough assignment in Group C alongside holders and world champions Spain, Italy and Croatia.
Fabio Capello's side will begin their campaign against rivals France, whom they have not beaten in five meetings, in Donetsk on June 11.
England have chosen to base their training camp in the Polish city of Krakow but all their group games will now be played in Ukraine.
Ireland, appearing in the championships for the first time since 1988, will open against Croatia in Poznan on June 10.
Yet it is the games against Spain, winners in 2008 and World Cup victors in South Africa last year, and 1968 champions Italy which will most excite their fans.
Giovanni Trapattoni's men will travel to Gdansk to face Spain on June 14 and return to Poznan to play Italy four days later.
The other co-hosts Poland were drawn alongside Euro 2004 winners Greece, Russia and the Czech Republic in Group A.
Group B will comprise three past champions in Holland, Denmark and Germany as well as 2004 runners-up Portugal.
Groups for Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine following today's draw:
Republic of Ireland
Video: It is the type of thing no parent wants to hear
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Play-acting mystifies me. I was taught not to show pain
Phil Hughes dead: List of players who have tragically died on the cricket pitch
Nani transfer: No future for winger at Sporting Lisbon as club cannot afford his wages when loan deal with Manchester United runs out
This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Tottenham Hotspur vs Partizan Belgrade match report: Spurs go through in Europa League - but pitch invaders grab the attention
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings casting controversy: Ridley Scott would never cast 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship