England Under-21s face Italy, Norway and Israel at the 2013 European Championship finals
England learn group at eight-team tournament in Israel
Tuesday 18 December 2012
England Under-21s will face Italy in the opening match of next summer's European Championship finals.
Stuart Pearce's side have been grouped with the Italians, Norway and host nation Israel in the eight-team tournament.
The Azzurri, coached by Devis Mangia, will be the first test in Group A as England's tournament begins at the Bloomfield Stadium in Tel Aviv on June 5.
Pearce's Young Lions meet Norway at the Ha Moshava Stadium in Petach Tikva three days later before facing Israel at Jerusalem's Teddy Stadium on June 11.
The last three champions of the competition, Spain, Germany and Holland, join Russia in Group B.
The top two teams from each group progress to the semi-finals where they will bid to reach the final at the Teddy Stadium on June 18.
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
Latest in Sport
MMA: UFC heavyweights Mark Hunt and Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva in fight for the ages
Roy Keane omits Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs from 'greatest' Manchester United team
Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira relive the rivalry - after a shared ice cream in Warsaw
Ashes 2013-14 match report: Alastair Cook future in jeopardy after another woeful display sees England lose to Australia by 218 runs to go down 2-0
Manchester United player ratings: The best (and worst) performers for David Moyes during the season so far
- 1 Dear Sir Jimmy Savile: A comedian's words of valediction to the nation's trusted uncle
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent