England Under-21s face Italy, Norway and Israel at the 2013 European Championship finals
England learn group at eight-team tournament in Israel
Tuesday 18 December 2012
England Under-21s will face Italy in the opening match of next summer's European Championship finals.
Stuart Pearce's side have been grouped with the Italians, Norway and host nation Israel in the eight-team tournament.
The Azzurri, coached by Devis Mangia, will be the first test in Group A as England's tournament begins at the Bloomfield Stadium in Tel Aviv on June 5.
Pearce's Young Lions meet Norway at the Ha Moshava Stadium in Petach Tikva three days later before facing Israel at Jerusalem's Teddy Stadium on June 11.
The last three champions of the competition, Spain, Germany and Holland, join Russia in Group B.
The top two teams from each group progress to the semi-finals where they will bid to reach the final at the Teddy Stadium on June 18.
Latest in Sport
Petr Cech demands talks over Chelsea future as Thibaut Courtois begs him to stay – as mentor
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Arsenal player ratings vs Besiktas
Besiktas vs Arsenal player ratings: Alexis Sanchez, Jack Wilshere, Calum Chambers - who was the Gunners star man?
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations