England up to sixth in football world rankings
England have moved up a place to sixth in the latest Coca-Cola Fifa world rankings.
Fabio Capello's side leapfrog Argentina, who have been unimpressive in their World Cup qualifying campaign, while Scotland also go up two spots to 22nd.
Northern Ireland remain 27th, the Republic of Ireland stay 34th, while Wales drop a spot to 74th.
Spain are still comfortably the world's best team, according to the rankings, with Holland their nearest rivals after they overtook fierce rivals Germany.
(last month's positions in brackets)
1. (1) Spain
2. (3) Netherlands
3. (2) Germany
4. (5) Italy
5. (4) Brazil
6. (7) England
7. (6) Argentina
8. (8) Croatia
9. (9) Russia
10. (10) France
11. (11) Portugal
12. (14) Turkey
13. (17) Paraguay
14. (15) United States
15. (12) Czech Republic
16. (18) Switzerland
17 = (13) Greece
17 = (16) Uruguay
19. (22) Ukraine
20. (23) Serbia
With the top nine players in the men’s world tennis rankings all missing this tournament to prepare ...
by Gareth Purnell
21 May 2013 02:01 AM
When cyclists look back on their careers spanning many hundreds (and in some cases possibly thousand...
by Martin Ayres
20 May 2013 06:12 PM
As England’s new football strip – made by Nike – is revealed today, new research shows the English F...
by Alex Miller
20 May 2013 04:52 PM
- 1 The ‘Beverly Hills’ of Surrey pays more income tax than big cities of the North
- 2 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 3 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 4 The moral case on tax avoidance is overwhelming - and we all know Google wants to do the right thing
- 5 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.