England vs Uruguay World Cup 2014: Luis Suarez booed by England fans ahead of crunch Group D clash
Wayne Rooney was booed by the Uruguay fans
Thursday 19 June 2014
England fans let Luis Suarez know exactly what they thought of him when the Liverpool striker's name was read out inside the Arena Corinthians.
Suarez, 27, is starting for a Uruguay side desperate for a win after their embarrassment at the hands of Costa Rica on Saturday.
The striker missed that game as he still hadn't recovered from knee surgery but returns to face England in Sao Paulo.
England fans inside the stadium did their best to rattle Suarez, vociferously booing when his name was read out by the announcer.
However, the Uruguay fans did not let that pass, jeering and whistling at under-fire England talisman Wayne Rooney when his name was read out.
Both teams are desperately chasing a win tonight after defeat in their opening games.
Roy Hodgson's men will know that not winning will not knock them out of the competition, but it will make things that much harder in their third game.
Latest in Sport
Leicester vs Arsenal match preview: Calm Calum can be an Arsenal star for years to come, says Per Mertesacker
Tottenham vs Liverpool preview: Spurs ready to press their case for Reds revenge
Burnley vs Manchester United match report: Louis van Gaal still winless after goalless draw at Turf Moor
Tottenham vs Liverpool match preview: I can get the best out of Mario Balotelli, says Brendan Rodgers
Everton vs Chelsea player ratings: Who was best in the nine-goal thriller at Goodison?
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Joan Rivers: 'Palestinians deserve to be dead'
- 3 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 It's not just the savagery of Isis that is shocking – its weaponry is too