England vs Uruguay World Cup 2014: Luis Suarez booed by England fans ahead of crunch Group D clash
Wayne Rooney was booed by the Uruguay fans
Thursday 19 June 2014
England fans let Luis Suarez know exactly what they thought of him when the Liverpool striker's name was read out inside the Arena Corinthians.
Suarez, 27, is starting for a Uruguay side desperate for a win after their embarrassment at the hands of Costa Rica on Saturday.
The striker missed that game as he still hadn't recovered from knee surgery but returns to face England in Sao Paulo.
England fans inside the stadium did their best to rattle Suarez, vociferously booing when his name was read out by the announcer.
However, the Uruguay fans did not let that pass, jeering and whistling at under-fire England talisman Wayne Rooney when his name was read out.
Both teams are desperately chasing a win tonight after defeat in their opening games.
Roy Hodgson's men will know that not winning will not knock them out of the competition, but it will make things that much harder in their third game.
Latest in Sport
Radamel Falcao exclusive: Forward says joining Manchester United is a 'dream come true'
Transfer deadline day: The best memes and tweets, featuring Radamel Falcao, Javier Hernandez and Bart Simpson
Radamel Falcao analysis: Manchester United have signed a top talent yet to hit his stride
Danny Welbeck signs for Arsenal: Gunners confirm signing of striker from Manchester United
Radamel Falcao to Manchester United: Louis van Gaal takes transfer spend beyond £140m - SIXTH most of any Premier league manager
- 1 Emma Watson on Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak: 'Even worse than seeing women's privacy violated is reading the comments'
- 2 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Cee Lo Green: It is only rape if the victim is conscious
- 5 Nigerian witch-finder Helen Ukpabio threatens legal action against human rights organisations