Eriksson dismisses North Korea move
Wednesday 14 October 2009
Sven-Goran Eriksson has stated he has no interest in taking charge of the North Korea national side for next summer's World Cup.
It is understood the North Korean FA made an initial approach for the former England boss but the Swede has denied receiving any offer.
North Korea have qualified for the finals for the first time since they played in England in 1966.
Eriksson, who is now director of football at Notts County, told Sky Sports News: "I don't have any offer and I have no plans to be manager, or whatever it is, for North Korea, absolutely not."
When asked whether he could assure people he would be staying at Meadow Lane, the 61-year-old added: "Of course I can, absolutely."
Eriksson, the England manager from 2001-06, last worked in international football as head coach of Mexico but was sacked earlier this year after a run of poor results.
He has since taken up his role at League Two Notts County following a high-profile buyout at the East Midlands club.
Notts County chairman Peter Trembling has also issued a statement rubbishing reports Eriksson could loaned to North Korea for the duration of the finals.
Trembling said: "We wish to make it clear that Notts County have not received any approach nor had any discussions whatsoever with the North Korean FA in relation to Sven-Goran Eriksson becoming an interim manager of their national team.
"Sven is concentrating all his efforts and is totally focussed on the appointment of our new manager in succession to Ian McParland.
"It is correct that I am making a business trip to Asia but this is solely and exclusively on official Notts County business.
"I will be visiting Taiwan, China, Hong Kong and Thailand to discuss a range of Notts County initiatives linked to our 150th anniversary."
Latest in Sport
Zlatan Ibrahimovic to Manchester United? 'My next move will be a surprise' says PSG striker
Javier Hernandez to Tottenham: Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino rejects reports over move for Manchester United striker
John Stones transfer latest: Manchester United interest could bump Chelsea bid up to £34m as Everton hold out for asking price
Mario Balotelli told he has no future at Liverpool as striker trains away from first-team
Ashes 2015 live: Latest score as England claim eight-wicket victory to take a 2-1 series lead over Australia after crushing win
- 1 Stuart Baggs dies: Apprentice star 'The Brand' found dead aged 27
- 2 Whoopi Goldberg tells Cara Delevingne to suck it up: 'She's not famous. I'M famous'
- 3 1000 people played Foo Fighters simultaneously to try and get them to play their city
- 4 Every club should be like Labour – you can’t join as a new member unless you’re already a member
- 5 Doctor Who: Christopher Eccleston says why he left the BBC series after just one series