Eriksson rules himself out of Sweden running
Tuesday 20 October 2009
Sven-Goran Eriksson has ruled himself out of the running for the vacant Sweden coaching role, the Swedish FA announced today.
Eriksson had been one of a number of names linked with the post following the resignation of Lars Lagerback nine days ago.
But the former England manager has now decided he wants to concentrate on his role as director of football at Coca-Cola League Two side Notts County.
"Last week we made contact with 'Svennis', who is one of the people we thought could be a possibility for the job as national team coach," SvFF chairman Lars-Ake Lagrell said in a statement on www.svenskfotboll.se.
"We have had good discussions, but he has now decided that with regards to his contract with Notts County, there is no possibility of him taking charge of the national team now."
Lagerback announced he was stepping down after Sweden's failure to reach next summer's World Cup finals.
Eriksson quickly emerged as one of the favourites for the post, and it was confirmed yesterday by the SvFF the 61-year-old was on a shortlist of "five to 10 names" which also includes Fulham boss Roy Hodgson.
However, Notts County executive chairman Peter Trembling revealed last night the club had not heard from the SvFF and they were confident the Swede would stay in the role he accepted at Meadow Lane in July.
Lagrell will now turn his attention to their other options as they look to plug the gap left by Lagerback's resignation.
"There's nothing dramatic about this, we simply had a chat to see how the land lies," he explained of Eriksson.
"We'll now continue to talk to the other candidates the board have, and we hope to be able to present a replacement as soon as possible."
Latest in Sport
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Best memes as Twitter reacts to imminent £16m transfer
Manchester United transfer news: Louis van Gaal joins Arsenal and Chelsea in the race for Sami Khedira
Sami Khedira to Arsenal? Arsene Wenger reveals Gunners are still in the market for defensive midfielder
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Risky business to think Balotelli can replace Luis Suarez
Malky Mackay texts: Harry Redknapp defends former Cardiff City manger - 'he hasn't raped anyone and he is not a paedophile'
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27