Essien ruled out of World Cup
Thursday 27 May 2010
Chelsea and Ghana midfielder Michael Essien has been ruled out of the World Cup due to injury.
The 27-year-old missed a large part of the recently-concluded season due to knee and ankle injuries and has hardly played any competitive football since December.
National coach Milovan Rajevac had hoped the former Lyon man would be passed fit for the showpiece tournament in South Africa this summer, but the Ghana Football Association today announced he was not expected to be back in action until the end of July.
A statement on www.ghanafa.org read: "An evaluation by a combined team of medical experts from the Ghana Football Association and Chelsea Football Club revealed that Essien will not make full recovery until the end of July.
"The Ghana Football Association wishes him full recovery and a quick return to football action."
Essien has been recovering from a knee injury picked up on African Nations Cup duty in Angola in January.
Ghana, who will be making their second appearance at the World Cup finals, are in Group D alongside Germany, Serbia and Australia.
Latest in Sport
Toni Kroos admits switch to Manchester United is 'a possibility for me'
Bayern Munich 1 Arsenal 1 - player ratings: Who scored highest for the Gunners – Mesut Ozil or Lukas Podolski?
The 10 funniest football chants revealed, with poll naming West Ham supporters as 'wittiest in the country'
Bayern Munich 1 Arsenal 1: Arjen Robben accused of being a 'very good diver' by Arsene Wenger after Gunners exit Champions League
Ian Wright breaks down in ITV documentary charting his rise to Arsenal and England striker
- 1 Hells of residence: Inside Macedonia's horrifying student accommodation - where the walls are green and the food is black
- 2 First Kiss video: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 3 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 4 Rampaging elephant smashes up house but then 'saves crying baby trapped under debris'
- 5 Ian Wright breaks down in ITV documentary charting his rise to Arsenal and England striker