Essien's World Cup hopes in jeopardy
Michael Essien's season for Chelsea is over and there are fears that his knee injury will also mean that the Ghana midfielder will not be able to play in the World Cup finals this summer.
Chelsea confirmed yesterday that Essien would not be back in time for Sunday's game against Stoke City in the Premier League or those against Liverpool or Wigan Athletic or the FA Cup final against Portsmouth. The midfielder injured his knee on duty for Ghana in the African Cup of Nations in January having already suffered a hamstring tear.
The 27-year-old was rumoured to be fit enough to make a return this Sunday but a Chelsea spokesman yesterday said that was out of the question. "Michael Essien will not be in the squad for the weekend's game against Stoke City at Stamford Bridge," he said. "We were hoping that Michael recovered before the final game but it now looks unlikely that he will feature for us again this season."
Essien is still in the rehabilitation process and has suffered a number of setbacks since January. He has been to France for treatment on the injury that was expected to have healed by now and has undergone surgery on the problem. However, Essien now must be a major doubt for Ghana who play Serbia in their first Group D game in South Africa on 13 June.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal vs Chelsea: Mutual contempt burns as rivals Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho face off again
Memphis Depay to Manchester United: Striker 'arrives in England' for talks over £25m switch
Wayne Rooney is Premier League's richest footballer with £72million worth but Lewis Hamilton leads the Sunday Times Rich List
Memphis Depay to Manchester United: Louis van Gaal faces difficult task as Liverpool hold 'secret' meeting with transfer target
What time does Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao start?
- 1 'We're not heroes, just tourists': Swedish police officers on holiday stop vicious assault on New York subway
- 2 Black Mass trailer: Johnny Depp might have started making good films again
- 3 Jacob Lescenski and Anthony Martinez: Straight student asks gay friend to High School prom and makes a million Twitter friends
- 4 Buckingham Palace guard who attacked passers-by in 'most most violent piece of CCTV footage' police officer had seen walks free
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'