Feisty Cole cements place in squad
Friday 14 August 2009
Carlton Cole was regarded as one of the biggest successes for England on Wednesday evening by Fabio Capello and the West Ham striker will keep his place in the squad if he continues his current form.
The 25-year-old impressed Capello and his staff with his willingness to run at players and unsettle defenders and they believe that his presence was as integral to England's comeback as the contribution of goalscorer Jermain Defoe and James Milner. The striker has three senior caps for England now although he is yet to start a match.
Capello said that he selected Cole having watched him play in a friendly for West Ham against Napoli. He has picked him in his last four squads and believes he can see something of the qualities he prizes in Emile Heskey. Cole is yet to score for England, although the Italian regards him as a contender along with Peter Crouch.
John Terry said that the England squad for next summer's World Cup, providing they qualify, was still open to players who could prove their value. He said: "These friendlies are massively important for guys on the bench."
Latest in Sport
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Best memes as Twitter reacts to imminent £16m transfer
Sami Khedira to Arsenal? Arsene Wenger reveals the Gunners are still in the market for defensive midfielder
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Risky business to think Balotelli can replace Suarez
Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
AEL Limassol vs Tottenham match report: Erik Lamela shrugs off last season’s woes to set up Spurs fightback
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist