An anonymous bomb threat has been made at the venue of the Fifa congress in Zurich, Swiss authorities have confirmed.
Zurich Police said: "We can confirm the receipt of a bomb threat."
The early and extended hour and a half lunch break was caused by the bomb threat, during which time the premises was searched and ultimately cleared for use.
Swiss police confirm that early and extended lunch here at FIFA Congress owes to bomb threat. Warning received an hour prior to evacuation.— Tom Peck (@tompeck) May 29, 2015
When the congress reconvened, Fifa General Secretary Jerome Valcke announced that the bomb threat had been received and appropriately dealt with.
In his brief statement, Valcke said: "A bomb threat was received, and as a precaution the Swiss authorities searched the premises.
"It was cleared and the congress can continue."
It wasn't until the police statement and reports emerged in the local media that people at the venue - including journalists - were aware that a threat had been made.
The incident will not have impacted the pivotal Fifa presidential election between Prince Ali Bin al Hussein of Jordan and the controversial incumbent Sepp Blatter due to take place later this afternoon.
Fifa has been plunged into crisis following a series of high-profile arrests on Wednesday over corruption charges.Reuse content