Fifa dismiss Costa Rica bid for replay with United States
Snow hit match in Colorado
Tuesday 26 March 2013
FIFA has rejected a bid by Costa Rica to have their World Cup qualifier with USA replayed after going down 1-0 in a game played in heavy snow.
Costa Rica lodged a complaint about the match in Denver but FIFA said today the match stands.
A FIFA statement read: "FIFA has examined the content of the letter and, taking into consideration... World Cup regulations, has confirmed that the conditions established in the regulations for an official protest have not been met by the Costa Rica FA. "Therefore, the result of the match played on March 22 stands and is considered as valid."
As a result of the loss, Costa Rica are bottom of the final-round standings with just one point from two games.
Costa Rican FA president Eduardo Li said of the conditions: "It was terrible. While the match was being played, at the same time, machines and people came on to the field to clean the lines."
Latest in Sport
David De Gea to Real Madrid: Spanish club resume £28m pursuit after fending Manchester United off Sergio Ramos
Karim Benzema to Arsenal: Transfer news live - Angel Di Maria to leave Manchester United, Emmanuel Adebayor to Aston Villa
Diego Costa biography: Chelsea striker's route to the top - from those who shared his journey
Ashes 2015 Third Test Day One report: England skittle Australia for 136, James Anderson takes six wickets, Ian Bell hits half-century
Nicolas Otamendi to Manchester United: Sergio Ramos is only defender of interest to Louis van Gaal
- 1 Model's video shoot on the beach interrupted by sudden landing of a group of illegal migrants
- 2 The difference between a psychopath and a sociopath
- 3 Cara Delevigne addresses awkward interview on Good Day Sacramento
- 4 MH370: Boeing 777 wing that could match missing plane found on the French island of Reunion
- 5 MH370 debris: Investigators 'confident' that Boeing 777 wing found - live updates