Flashback: No 17. 2002: France humbled by Diop
Wednesday 09 June 2010
Senegal's Papa Bouba Diop turns the ball in as holders France suffer a shock 1-0 defeat in the opening game of the 2002 World Cup in Seoul.
France's fall from grace was rapid. Without the injured Zinedine Zidane they drew 0-0 with Uruguay after Thierry Henry was sent off, then a 2-0 defeat to Denmark knocked them out in the group stages without even scoring a goal.
It was the worst ever performance by the defending champions and coach Roger Lemerre paid the price.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger says he will be 'actively involved' on deadline day... but may not buy a striker despite Giroud injury
Fernando Torres to AC Milan: Jose Mourinho talks up Mattia Destro with Torres on verge of Chelsea exit
Mario Balotelli has been 'spoken to at length' and Liverpool have ensured he lives on Merseyside rather than Manchester
Tottenham vs Liverpool: Hugo Lloris expects Spurs to wipe away shame of 4-0 and 5-0 defeats last season
Tim Sherwood column: I've been impressed with my Tottenham successor Mauricio Pochettino
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner