Flashback: No 18. Germany 2006: Zidane loses his head – and his last game
Thursday 10 June 2010
Zinedine Zidane headbutts Italy's Marco Materazzi during the World Cup final in the Olympiastadion, Berlin in 2006. Zidane, who had given France an early lead only for Materazzi to equalise, was sent off as his side lost 5-3 on penalties after a 1-1 draw.
Rarely can a career as touched with greatness have ended in such controversial and dramatic fashion. The final was Zidane's last game and instead of inspiring France's second triumph, the off-the-ball incident with Materazzi in the final minutes of extra-time meant the three times World Player of the Year was ordered off, forlornly walking past the World Cup as he went.
Zidane later claimed the Italian defender had insulted his mother and refused to apologise to him. Without their captain, France were edged out, David Trezeguet missing the vital penalty.
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Emirates was the easy option for Mesut Ozil. He needs a leader - and Arsenal don't have them
Ronaldinho dream XI: John Terry, Frank Lampard and Claude Makelele are in as former Barcelona superstar names ideal side
UFC champion Ronda Rousey leaves presenter with broken ribs after he claims 'she can't compete with a man'
Gareth Bale reveals the two things he hates about Real Madrid: 'Getting nutmegged and Spanish spiders'
Cristiano Ronaldo shows off his dance moves, including the moonwalk
- 1 Tourist films plane's descent just metres above packed Caribbean beach
- 2 Kate Moss: Previously unpublished nude photo revealed by Mert and Marcus
- 3 Indian woman creates 'Marriage CV' after parents put her on dating site: 'Definitely not marriage material. Won’t grow long hair, ever'
- 4 World Book Day: Boy 'excluded' from school after dressing up as Fifty Shades' Christian Grey
- 5 Bad Jews poster 'censored' on London Tube