Floodlight failure blacks out Argentina v Brazil friendly
Thursday 04 October 2012
Argentina's friendly against Brazil was abandoned before kick-off last night due to a floodlight failure at the Centenario stadium in the northern city of Resistencia.
The teams, picked only from domestic leagues, were due to meet for the second time in two weeks after Brazil won 2-1 in the first match of the "Superclasico of the Americas" doubleheader in Goiania on Sept. 19.
The players took the field and lined up for the anthems but Chilean referee Enrique Osses delayed kickoff until full lighting could be resorted after a generator failed.
The teams spent more than half an hour on the pitch warming up and chatting among themselves until they were led off again.
With no back-up generator available in the vicinity, Osses abandoned the match an hour after the scheduled 0100 GMT kickoff, embarrassing the Argentine Football Association (AFA), who had organised the match in Resistencia.
AFA sources said no new date was immediately available for the match since the international calendar was packed until the end of the year.
Brazil were fielding several first-choice players including Neymar, who scored the winner in Goiania with a last-minute penalty, while the best-known player in the Argentina team was World Cup winger Maxi Rodriguez.
Latest in Sport
Manchester City vs Manchester United combined XI: No place for Yaya Toure... or any United defenders
EXCLUSIVE: F1 heading for eastern revolution as new team emerges from Romania
Impressive Kurt Zouma may save Chelsea millions by replacing John Terry
Daniel Sturridge injury: Liverpool striker suggests problems could be linked with 'Caribbean vibes'
Capital One Cup fifth-round draw: Chelsea meet Derby, Tottenham face Newcastle, Liverpool travel to Bournemouth
- 1 2015 General Election: Green party will not appear in TV debate alongside Ukip – says BBC
- 2 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 3 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
- 4 North Korean officials 'publicly executed for watching South Korean soap operas'
- 5 Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything