Gareth Bale ruled out of England game
Wales winger Gareth Bale has pulled out of Saturday's Euro 2012 clash against England with a hamstring injury.
The Football Association of Wales confirmed this morning the player would take no part in the Millennium Stadium encounter after suffering tightness in the muscle.
The 21-year-old's training has been curtailed this week and, following a scan, is now returning to his club Tottenham for further assessment.
The FAW said in a statement that Bale, who played his first 90 minutes since suffering a back injury in January against West Ham last weekend, was injured prior to joining up with the squad.
The statement read: "Due to a hamstring problem, Gareth Bale has had to withdraw from the Wales squad to face England on Saturday.
"He felt tight last week during training with his club.
"After playing 90 minutes on Saturday he felt some muscle tightness.
"Initially, this was expected to be muscle soreness after playing his first game.
"On joining up with the Welsh squad he was kept off his feet in training for two days to recover.
"As he still felt tight in the warm-up on Tuesday, Gareth was pulled out of the session. He did not train at all on Wednesday and was sent for a scan.
"The scan revealed that Gareth Bale picked up his injury last week."
The loss of Bale is a major blow for Gary Speed ahead of his first competitive international as manager and a concern for Spurs with the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final against Real Madrid in 12 days' time.
Bale, 21, has only recently returned to action after a six-week lay-off with a back injury, making two substitute appearances and one start - Saturday's goalless draw with West Ham - for Spurs.
Prior to that Bale had enjoyed an oustanding season and his fitness is crucial to Spurs' hopes of progressing further in the elite European competition.
As Voltaire once said, “Ice cream is exquisite. What a pity it isn’t illegal”
Latest in Sport
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Best memes as Twitter reacts to imminent £16m transfer
Manchester United transfer news: Louis van Gaal joins Arsenal and Chelsea in the race for Sami Khedira
Mario Balotelli takes 50 per cent pay cut to join Liverpool as Samuel as Eto’o waits in the wings if deal falls through
Crystal Palace next manager latest: Palace consider Ally McCoist - EXCLUSIVE
Click here for the full story." title="When a youngster asked for an autograph outside Manchester City's training ground, Balotelli demanded to know why the boy was playing truant. After the child revealed he was being bullied, Balotelli drove the boy and his mother to the school in question so he could tackle the bully himself. He demanded to see the headmaster to make him aware of the issue and then mediated between the two boys to resolve the problem. A source said: 'Mario feels strongly about bullying.' Click here for the full story." width="88" height="52" />Mario Balotelli: The funniest stories
- 1 Mother fed her daughter tapeworms to make her skinny for beauty pageant
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 Crystal Palace next manager latest: Palace consider Ally McCoist - EXCLUSIVE
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 5 Tim Sherwood column: 'It started as a three-horse race but turned into the Grand National'