Gareth Barry hopeful performances for Everton will lead to England recall
The midfielder is currently on loan from Manchester City
Tuesday 08 October 2013
Midfielder Gareth Barry has not given up on an England recall and hopes a good run for Everton could propel him back into Roy Hodgson's thinking.
The 32-year-old last featured for the national team in May 2012 and although he went to Euro 2012 he did not play a single game.
Barry has had a good start to his season-long loan from Manchester City and he knows if he can maintain that it may attract Hodgson's attention.
"It's something that I definitely wouldn't be turning down at the moment," he said.
"I joined Everton to play regular football and that's still my main target, to get my form going.
"If an England call comes with that, then fantastic, but it's certainly at the back of my mind."
Barry recently became the 10th player to reach 500 Premier League appearances and plans to carry on as long as possible.
"I've always said that I want to play as long as possible and as long as my body and legs allow me to do so," he told evertontv.
"At the moment I'm feeling good and really fit, and I'm hopeful I can play for a number of years.
"But I've always took one season at a time and this season I'm looking at keeping a good run of form going and helping Everton climb the table to see where it gets us."
Latest in Sport
Sami Khedira to Arsenal: Midfield omitted from Real Madrid squad for Spanish Super Cup
Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
Angel Di Maria latest: Manchester United target is Real Madrid's 'best player', says Diego Simeone
Manchester United transfer news: Louis van Gaal tried and failed to sign German stars Thomas Muller and Marco Reus this summer
Tracey Emin: My Life In A Column
- 1 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
- 4 Kajieme Powell: Missouri police release video footage of second man killed by officers
- 5 Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation