England physio Gary Lewin dislocates ankle during Sturridge goal celebration against Italy
Physio hurt following Daniel Sturridge equaliser
Sunday 15 June 2014
England physio Gary Lewin was carried off on a stretcher after suffering a dislocated ankle as he celebrated Daniel Sturridge's first-half equaliser against Italy in Manaus.
The Three Lions' leveller came just moments after Claudio Marchisio had given the Azzurri a goal advantage in their World Cup Group D encounter.
Sturridge celebrated his close-range strike in his normal style, while Lewin jumped off the bench and injured himself in the process.
The physio left the field on a stretcher after a short break in play, with the team's Twitter official feed, england, swiftly confirming the severity of the injury.
"England physio Gary Lewin was injured during celebrations for england's goal," the post said. "He has dislocated his ankle. Get well soon Gary #3Lions"
Kirstie Allsopp has waded into the female fertility debate again
Gillian Anderson lays into gender disparity in Hollywood
The Sistine Chapel is set to be illuminated with thousands of LEDs
Latest in Sport
Arsene Wenger 18th anniversary at Arsenal: His WORST signings XI during his time with the Gunners
18 things Wenger has still never done at Arsenal
Arsene Wenger's worst signings XI
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
Nani: On loan Sporting Lisbon winger admits he may not return to Manchester United
- 1 Snoop Dogg and Jared Leto buy a stake in Reddit as A-list invests $50m
- 2 Prince held a Facebook Q&A and this is the only question he answered...
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 35,000 walrus gather on north-west Alaska beach 'for a rest'
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'