England physio Gary Lewin dislocates ankle during Sturridge goal celebration against Italy
Physio hurt following Daniel Sturridge equaliser
Sunday 15 June 2014
England physio Gary Lewin was carried off on a stretcher after suffering a dislocated ankle as he celebrated Daniel Sturridge's first-half equaliser against Italy in Manaus.
The Three Lions' leveller came just moments after Claudio Marchisio had given the Azzurri a goal advantage in their World Cup Group D encounter.
Sturridge celebrated his close-range strike in his normal style, while Lewin jumped off the bench and injured himself in the process.
The physio left the field on a stretcher after a short break in play, with the team's Twitter official feed, england, swiftly confirming the severity of the injury.
"England physio Gary Lewin was injured during celebrations for england's goal," the post said. "He has dislocated his ankle. Get well soon Gary #3Lions"
Latest in Sport
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 2 Greece debt crisis explained: A history of just how the country landed itself in such a mess
- 3 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 4 Greek debt crisis: Yanis Varoufakis's funniest (and most memorable) quotes
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers