England physio Gary Lewin dislocates ankle during Sturridge goal celebration against Italy
Physio hurt following Daniel Sturridge equaliser
Sunday 15 June 2014
England physio Gary Lewin was carried off on a stretcher after suffering a dislocated ankle as he celebrated Daniel Sturridge's first-half equaliser against Italy in Manaus.
The Three Lions' leveller came just moments after Claudio Marchisio had given the Azzurri a goal advantage in their World Cup Group D encounter.
Sturridge celebrated his close-range strike in his normal style, while Lewin jumped off the bench and injured himself in the process.
The physio left the field on a stretcher after a short break in play, with the team's Twitter official feed, england, swiftly confirming the severity of the injury.
"England physio Gary Lewin was injured during celebrations for england's goal," the post said. "He has dislocated his ankle. Get well soon Gary #3Lions"
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Manchester United vs Liverpool - I don't understand why Brendan Rodgers was not more attacking against Basel
Jesus Christ plays for Chelsea - that's what one in five children thinks
Transfer Talk: Nemanja Vidic to return to Manchester United; Hazard to leave Chelsea; Sunderland want Radamel Falcao
Frank Warren column: Don't bet on Amir Khan landing pay day against Floyd Mayweather
Manchester United transfer news: Kevin Strootman move edges closer
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more