England physio Gary Lewin dislocates ankle during Sturridge goal celebration against Italy
Physio hurt following Daniel Sturridge equaliser
Sunday 15 June 2014
England physio Gary Lewin was carried off on a stretcher after suffering a dislocated ankle as he celebrated Daniel Sturridge's first-half equaliser against Italy in Manaus.
The Three Lions' leveller came just moments after Claudio Marchisio had given the Azzurri a goal advantage in their World Cup Group D encounter.
Sturridge celebrated his close-range strike in his normal style, while Lewin jumped off the bench and injured himself in the process.
The physio left the field on a stretcher after a short break in play, with the team's Twitter official feed, england, swiftly confirming the severity of the injury.
"England physio Gary Lewin was injured during celebrations for england's goal," the post said. "He has dislocated his ankle. Get well soon Gary #3Lions"
Latest in Sport
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Best memes as Twitter reacts to imminent £16m transfer
Sami Khedira to Arsenal? Arsene Wenger reveals Gunners are still in the market for defensive midfielder
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Risky business to think Balotelli can replace Suarez
Malky Mackay allegations: Malky Mackay, Iain Moody and another grim day for English football
Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist