Gary Lineker sports Italy shirt (in vain) during BBC World Cup coverage
Italy eventually lost to Costa Rica 1-0, sending England out of the tournament
Saturday 21 June 2014
BBC presenter Gary Lineker tried his best but it was all in vain.
With World Cup qualification out of England's hands after a disastrous performance against Italy, the former England striker came on air for the channel wearing an Italy shirt.
A victory for the Azzurri would have given England slim hope of qualification from Group D.
But it was all in vain.
The Three Lions needed Italy to beat Costa Rica and then Uruguay and had to beat Costa Rica themselves to sneak into the knockout stages.
But Costa Rica, one of the surprise teams of the tournament, ruined Lineker's party, performing brilliantly against Italy and earning a shock 1-0 win.
Latest in Sport
Manchester City vs Southampton: Frank Lampard shuns the limelight ahead of his Premier League farewell
Francis Coquelin: The would-be Zinedine Zidane now making an impression as Arsenal’s Claude Makelele
Arsenal vs Aston Villa: Gunners snub that redefined Tim Sherwood
Premier League 2015/16 kits: Confirmed and rumoured strips from Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and others
'I think you are an ostrich': The funniest managerial quotes of the 2014/15 Premier League season
- 1 Isis 'jihadi bride' claims forced sex with Yazidi girls is never rape because Koran condones it
- 2 Eurovision 2015 winner: Sweden beats Russia and Italy to take the title from Conchita Wurst
- 3 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 4 Mother 'will allow son's circumcision in return for release from prison'
- 5 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating