Gary Lineker sports Italy shirt (in vain) during BBC World Cup coverage
Italy eventually lost to Costa Rica 1-0, sending England out of the tournament
Saturday 21 June 2014
BBC presenter Gary Lineker tried his best but it was all in vain.
With World Cup qualification out of England's hands after a disastrous performance against Italy, the former England striker came on air for the channel wearing an Italy shirt.
A victory for the Azzurri would have given England slim hope of qualification from Group D.
But it was all in vain.
The Three Lions needed Italy to beat Costa Rica and then Uruguay and had to beat Costa Rica themselves to sneak into the knockout stages.
But Costa Rica, one of the surprise teams of the tournament, ruined Lineker's party, performing brilliantly against Italy and earning a shock 1-0 win.
Latest in Sport
Neil Warnock sacked: Crystal Palace confirm manager Warnock has been axed following the Boxing Day defeat to Southampton
Manchester United vs Newcastle match report: Brilliant Wayne Rooney scores twice to fire up United's unlikely title challenge
Manchester United injury news: Angel Di Maria unlikely to face Spurs as Marouane Fellaini's 'mystery illness' turns out to be rib injury
Arsenal vs QPR player ratings: Could anyone outshine new Gunners hero Alexis Sanchez and who was worse than villain Olivier Giroud?
Manchester United 3 Newcastle 1: 'I'm playing like Paul Scholes,' says Wayne Rooney
- 1 Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
- 2 Margaret Thatcher 'expressed fears of Asian rising' at Anglo-Irish summit in 1984
- 3 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 4 Sussex couple die in suspected Christmas Day 'suicide pact'
- 5 The Unluckiest People of the Year 2014 (and one very unlucky giraffe)