Germany 4 Portugal 0 player ratings: How did Cristiano Ronaldo perform?
A look at the individual performances at the Arena Fonte Nova in Salvador
Monday 16 June 2014
It was billed as Cristiano Ronaldo versus Germany, but this game was more Thomas Mueller v Portugal.
The Germany striker scored the first hat-trick of the World Cup as Germany ran out easy winners at the Arena Fonte Nova in Salvador.
Mueller opened the scoring from the spot after a dubious penalty was awarded before Mats Hummels added a second.
The game as a contest was over after 37 minutes when Portugal defender Pepe was shown a red card for a daft altercation with Mueller.
And if there was any doubt over who would win this Group G meeting, it was ended when Mueller scored his second just before the break.
Germany took their foot off the gas in the second half, yet still could have had many more goals. Perhaps Mueller was more desperate than the rest as it was he who did find the back of the net in the second half and with it claimed his hat-trick.
Who do you think were the stand-out performers? Let us know in the comments below.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal are so close to winning the Premier League, but sometimes Arsene Wenger holds them back, says Jamie Carragher
Arsenal transfer news: Tomas Rosicky and Mathieu Flamini set for showdown summer talks over future
David Beckham reveals secret of his success: I 'stayed in to watch Match of the Day' rather than go out with friends on a Saturday night
Real Madrid vs Juventus preview: Juventus know they must attack to match past European glory
Two new members of Floyd Mayweather's The Money Team blag their way into entourage to celebrate to celebrate with Justin Bieber
- 1 If I were Prime Minister: I'd give tax cuts to the rich, keep Trident, and get my football team wrong
- 2 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
- 5 Garland shooting: Isis claims attack on Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest in Texas as its first action on US soil