Germany vs Argentina World Cup 2014: Sami Khedira is OUT of the World Cup final after injuring himself in the warm-up with Christoph Kramer taking his place
Arsenal target injured his calf just ahead of kick-off
Sami Khedira will not play in the World Cup final against Argentina after injuring himself in the warm-up.
The Real Madrid midfielder, a target of Arsenal, hurt his calf just ahead of kick-off at the Maracana.
Khedira, who has 51 caps for Germany, has had an excellent tournament, and excelled in the 7-1 humiliation of Brazil in the semi-final scoring and adding an assist for Joachim Low's team.
Low opted for Christoph Kramer, who spent last season on loan at Borussia Monchengladbach from Bayer Leverkusen, to take his place.
Kramer, 23, made his first competitive start for Germany in the Final, having only appeared from the bench before. He only made his international debut on 13 May.
The young midfielder played in only two of Germany's previous six matches - not playing at all in the Group stages - at the tournament, playing a total of 12 minutes against Algeria and France. Christoph Kramer, 23, made his first competitive start for Germany in the final
Kramer impressed for Monchengladbach last season, playing 30 matches as his side finished sixth.
Low may have opted for one from the more experienced trio of Mario Gotze, Andre Schurrle or Lukas Podolski but they are all more attacking options.
Kramer was then involved in a collision with Ezequiel Garay and suffered what appeared to be a concussion.
He lasted just 32 minutes of the contest and was replaced by Schurrle.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal transfer news and rumours: Gabriel Paulista sent to Paris to speed up move; Luis Suarez bid planned; Gunners eye Daniele Rugani
Gabriel Paulista: Talented Brazilian could grow into world-class defender at Arsenal
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: Pair finally meet at NBA game and shake hands, will the fight be announced during Super Bowl?
Andy Murray vs Tomas Berydch: Murray cool over reunion with coach Dani Vallverdu at the Australian Open
Manchester United transfer news and rumours: David De Gea new deal; Gareth Bale on speculation; Wilfried Zaha exit
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights