Giovanni Trapattoni looks ahead following redemption for the Republic of Ireland against the Faroe Islands

Faroe Islands 1 Republic of Ireland 4

Click to follow
The Independent Football

A bullish Giovanni Trapattoni was planning for the future after seeing his Republic of Ireland side cruise to victory in the Faroe Islands.

The 73-year-old Italian started the day fighting for his job as Ireland manager amid claims that the Football Association were ready to ditch him in the wake of Friday night's 6-1 thrashing by Germany at the Aviva Stadium. But after witnessing a spirited response as his players ran out convincing winners in Torshavn, he refused to contemplate his exit.

Asked if he expected to be manager for the rest of the campaign, Trapattoni said: "We have in November another game. I expect. We started three games ago – we have won two games, we have lost one against the best team [in Group C]. It's not my decision.

"I know what I can do, but it's not my decision. I don't have a problem. For me, it's my job. I say always I am proud to be the manager of this team with these players. We have discovered many, many young players in the last three years and sometimes we can lose. Football is like this."

The speculation reached fever pitch before kick off when it emerged that Trapattoni's usual post-match de-brief, which was scheduled for tonight in Dublin, had been cancelled. However, Trapattoni revealed he was returning early to Italy for personal reasons. "I have a meeting in Italy, and my sister is in hospital," he said.

It was a measure of the furore surrounding Trapattoni that the second most comprehensive competitive victory of his reign was a secondary topic on an eventful evening in the Faroes.

After a frustrating opening 45 minutes during which chances went begging, they needed just 43 seconds of the second half to take the lead when full-back Marc Wilson fired home the first goal of his senior international career from 30 yards with the help of a slight deflection off full-back Jonas Naes.

It was 2-0 within seven minutes when Jon Walters headed Wilson's cross towards goal and as captain Robbie Keane distracted keeper Gunnar Nielsen, the ball ended up in the net. Both men claimed it at the time and although Walters was initially credited with the goal, Keane was having none of it after the game.

"I definitely did get a little touch on it. I am sure Jon will want it, but listen, I am not really too bothered," he said. As long as we got the three points, that was the most important thing."

There was a brief scare for the Republic when substitute Arnbjorn Hansen headed Naes' 68th-minute cross past Keiren Westwood, but order was restored within five minutes by Pol Justinussen's own goal.

Defender Darren O'Dea made sure at the death when he converted an Aiden McGeady corner to wrap up a comfortable and much-needed win.


Faroe Islands (4-4-2): Nielsen; Naes, Justinussen, Faeroe (Jacobsen, 61), Baldvinsson; Hansson, Benjaminsen, Samuelsen, Udsen (Hansen, 61); Holst, Edmundsson (Elttor, 79).

Republic of Ireland (4-4-2): Westwood; Coleman, O'Shea, O'Dea, Wilson; Brady (Cox, h/t), Andrews (Meyler, 90), McCarthy, McGeady; Keane (Long, 80), Walters.

Referee L Jemini (Albania).