Gomez saves Germany's blushes
Saturday 04 June 2011
Mario Gomez scored a 90th minute winner as Germany beat Austria 2-1 to maintain a 100 per cent record in Euro 2012 qualifying.
In their Group A match in Vienna last night Germany took the lead a minute before halftime through Gomez. Austria equalised five minutes after the break with an Arne Friedrich own goal but Gomez snatched Germany's sixth straight win with a late header.
France stay on top of Group D despite a lacklustre 1-1 draw in Belarus. Chelsea's Florent Malouda scored after 22 minutes to cancel out Eric Abidal's own goal two minutes earlier. Italy have a five point lead at the top of Group C after a 3-0 victory over Estonia. A fine display led to goals from Guiseppe Rossi, Antonio Cassano and Giampaolo Pazzini.
Latest in Sport
Chelsea victory parade: Chelsea mocked on Twitter as 'tens of fans' pack the streets of London
Jack Wilshere's final-day strike wins Match of the Day's Goal of the Season award after Arsenal fans hijack vote
Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
Chelsea victory parade: Fans chuck celery at Sky News presenter ahead of champion's parade through London
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers safe for now as owners target signings - with £20m Christian Benteke top of list
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 Chelsea victory parade: Chelsea mocked on Twitter as 'tens of fans' pack the streets of London
- 3 US warned by Chinese media to stop meddling or 'war will be inevitable'
- 4 Woman, 21, dies after taking contraceptive pill that 'caused fatal blood clot'
- 5 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says