Green out of Euro 2012 qualifiers
The West Ham goalkeeper Robert Green last night withdrew from the England squad to play the forthcoming Euro 2012 qualifiers against Bulgaria and Wales, leaving Fabio Capello with an alarming shortage of available replacements.
Beyond his first choice Joe Hart, Capello has only David Stockdale, the Fulham player now on loan at Ipswich Town , in the current squad. Ben Foster has taken a sabbatical from international football, although for how long nobody seems certain. Scott Carson has never been the most enthusiastic attendee for international games. Frank Fielding, who made an England squad last season is one option. He is now at Derby County . David James, 41, has only just regained his place in the Bristol City team after a run out the side.
The shortage of eligible goalkeepers has become a problem for Capello who cannot justifiably cherrypick from Stuart Pearce's Under-21s squad given that they have European championship qualifiers this week. Pearce has Ben Amos (Manchester United), Jack Butland ( Birmingham City ) and Declan Rudd ( Norwich City ) in his squad.
Derby's Frankie Fielding has been called up as a replacement.
Latest in Sport
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Best memes as Twitter reacts to imminent £16m transfer
Sami Khedira to Arsenal? Arsene Wenger reveals Gunners are still in the market for defensive midfielder
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Risky business to think Balotelli can replace Suarez
Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
AEL Limassol vs Tottenham match report: Erik Lamela shrugs off last season’s woes to set up Spurs fightback
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist